Monday, September 15, 2014

Drift Wedding Quilt

Two family friends decided to get married this Spring within a week of each other. We were able to attend one wedding, since it was in Maryland and more accessible, but the other was held in New orleans. While I would have loved to go to that one too, it just wasn't going to happen. The couple getting married lived in Florida and really loved the beach; I've also spent a lot of time on the beaches of North Carolina with the hubby half of the couple. A beachy-type quilt would be perfect! I wanted something that reminded me of waves, so I decided to try a tumbler quilt. While I was trying to decide what fabric to use, I came across Angela Walters' line for Art Gallery - Drift. The colors were exactly what I was looking for and I thought they would be perfect to get across that sunset over the water feeling.


I did a little better with the pictures of this one. I really wanted to take some down at the beach - we're at my parents' beach house in NC here - but I was giving this to my friend that night and the weather wasn't cooperating. So the colors are a little muddy since these were taken under the house.


I wish I had gotten a picture of the back! I was actually really happy with the back on this one. I used the left over fabric to piece 3 horizontal lines placed at a diminishing space apart - does that make sense? Anyway, it kind of reminded me of a horizon.


Here's my hand-lettered and hand-stitched label. I thought the linen would look like sand, but I have to admit the color looked a little out of place on this quilt of soft pastels.


I quilted with long, wavy lines across the center of each row, just to really make it seem more wave-like. It must have come across, because my male friend said, "It looks like waves." I love it when the recipient "gets" it!

No comments:

Post a Comment