Here is another post BN and AN - that's Before Nola and After Nola. I knew that I wanted to make my own diaper bag whenever I became pregnant the second time around, as I was never quite happy with any of the 3 bags I had for Jack. I bought the pattern for Anna Maria Horner's Multi Tasker Tote, thinking it would be the perfect bag for the job. I still love the pattern and want to make one some day, but as soon as I saw Noodlehead's Super Tote pattern, I knew it was the one. I admit to being inspired by some of the other Super Totes out there in fabric choice, but I love how it came out:
I used some Anna Maria Horner linen for the main fabric with matching Essex linen for the handles and gusset.
The inside is some mystery Ikea fabric I had in my stash that seemed to match well. As you can see, you can fit a lot inside this thing. I have a large changing clutch, a muslin blanket and water bottle in mine. I did put the elastic side pockets inside as called for, but I added a small zip pocket on the inside, too, for things I wanted to keep contained and easily found.
Here you can see I piped the edge of one of my outer pockets. I used a zipper for the other side. I like options. You might also be able to tell that I used a poly filament to top stitch everything. I thought I was being sly, using something that's clear so I didn't have to match the different fabrics. I also thought it would be stronger than regular thread. Maybe it is, but I do see it pulling out at a couple of stress points.
I love the little pleat on each side of the gusset. It really gives shape to the bag. I also love that the big central pocket zips completely closed.
And here it is 14-ish months later. I still absolutely love it! I get so many compliments and shocked looks when I tell people I made it. It really has held up well, considering I carry it everywhere, all day, every day. It has been washed once, on delicate, and air dried, and it's come through pretty well. There is a bit of bubbling where the interfacing came away, but it's hardly noticeable.
There is one thing that annoys me and it's entirely my own fault. In stitching the handles to the bag, I was so focused on getting the box/x right, I didn't make sure to go all the way to the top of the bag with the stitching. I didn't notice at first, but now that it's been in use, the top flops over in a very unattractive way. I'm sure I'm the only one that notices, but I do notice. You can see it folding in in the picture above. Also, I probably should have stabilized the handles more, as the linen is really crumbled now.
And here it is stuffed with all of the things one needs for a toddler. Including a dirty diaper, apparently. Gross.
I still REALLY love this bag, and I can see myself carrying it long after the diapers are gone, which is just about the best thing you can say for a diaper bag. And more than I can say for the 3 I had before that are now at the thrift store.