Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Tiny Dancer Geranium

I've actually been doing quite a bit of sewing here, I've just not been really good at getting pictures. I took a bunch of recent projects today, so hopefully I'll have more to show here soon. Especially since the closer I get to that due date (July 21st!), the harder is for me to lean over a cutting table, the less sewing I'll be doing. Today, I (just about) finished up the first thing for my baby girl. I still have to put some fasteners of some sort on the back, but other than that, I'm calling it done.

This is the Geranium dress pattern by Made by Rae. For awhile she was offering the 0-3 month size pattern for free, so I snatched it up, since that's the first size I was going to make anyway. I also thought it would be a good way to try the pattern. Well, I think it's adorable and so easy, so I'll definitely be buying the whole pattern soon.

I made the tunic option, thinking that would be the most useful for a newborn. Won't it look cute with a purple diaper cover peeking out? The fabric is Cotorienne Can-Can in aqua by Anyan for Yuwa, which I picked up from Pink Castle when it was on sale. I loved the print and knew it would make the cutest girl clothes without being over-the-top GIRL.

I almost left those pockets off thinking they would be a) useless for a newborn and b) too much on such a little piece of clothing. In the end, I decided to put them on as I really feel the pockets are the cutest part of this pattern and what makes it different from other dresses out there. I'm so glad I did, because I think they really take the top up a notch.

As you can see, I still need a method of closure on the back. I was going to do buttons, but they'd have to be tiny, and I think snaps will be easier to maneuver on a wiggly newborn. I've never done snaps before, so it'll be a new skill learned, too.

I can't wait to see some chubby little legs sticking out from this top!

No comments:

Post a Comment