When I first saw the Washi Dress pattern by Made by Rae, I knew I wanted to give it a try. It looked so cute on Rae, and it had so many options for customization. I bought it right away. Like, the-day-it-came-out right away. At first I couldn't decide if I wanted to make the tunic, to try the pattern out with less fabric commitment, or the dress, but I decided to go all out and do the dress. I picked up 3 1/2 yards of Dear Stella Maasai Mara in gray and was all ready to go. And then it sat while I did some "obligation" sewing. The other day I just couldn't wait any longer and dove right in.
I was nervous from the start about the fit. Looking at the Flickr pool of dresses and tunics other people had done, I noticed that none of the other sewers were quite as, well, ample in the chest area (D) as I am. But I really wanted it to work, so I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl.
This pattern was a dream to sew. It was so fast, I literally sewed it in a day, after I decided on fit. The fit was definitely the hardest part. By chest measurement, I fell in between the XL and XXL. I started out with an XL muslin - definitely not big enough for the ladies. I then decided that I was going to attempt a Full Bust Adjustment (doesn't that sound awesome? It's not.) I looked at the links on Rae's Washi page and gave it a shot, but I don't think I understood exactly what was going on. That muslin did not turn out well. I finally just bit the bullet and made an XXL muslin. The bust fit well, but everything else was just a little big. I decided to go for it anyway, knowing I could belt the waist.
I think it turned out pretty well! I made the XXL with no bust adjusments. I was a little worried that the skirt would be way too full in that size, so I actually followed the tunic line instead to make the skirt a little more narrow. I did the little U collar and the cute little sleeves, though the dress looked just as cute without them. I left the pockets off, as I was worried they would be too bulky with the more narrow skirt, but when I wear the dress, I feel like I want to put my hands in some pockets. I will definitely put them on the next one.
I wish I could have gotten a good picture of the back, I love the shirring! That was the other part I was worried about but it couldn't have been easier. I feel like I want to use elastic thread on everything I make now!
I can't wait to try another version - especially because I am determined to master the FBA. The darts on the bodice make the fit of this so nice, but being able to do the FBA, I think, would make it a perfect fit. It's so hard to find dresses and fitted shirts off the rack that actually fit the girls, I would love to be able to make them. I did buy some fabric with the tunic in mind, so that'll be my next project. Like everyone else who has tried this pattern, I want to make a whole wardrobe of these!