Monday, August 27, 2012

Hello my Janome, how I've missed you!

Hooray! I couldn't take it any longer! My "sewing room" is still basically just a depository for all things that haven't found a home yet, so I finally just plopped my machine down on the coffee table and got to business. The first night, I pulled out my vintage sheet charm packs and sewed half square triangles for a couple hours. Ahhhh...it felt so good. I'm waiting for a couple of fabrics I ordered and then I will have lots of piecing to do, which seems to be the easiest kind of sewing to do hunched over a coffee table. I did finally get my curtain swatches in the mail from Fabric.com, so I had some decision making to do.


These chevrons were cute, but not quite what I was going for in the living and dining rooms. The colors were nice and subtle, but they're just a little too...trendy.


These dandelions are adorable in small doses, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with 12 yards of them surrounding my windows.


These fabrics I love. In every colorway. I decided the blue one on the right would be perfect in the living room. And I might have taken the swatch to the paint store to match a front door color.


I like the geometry and color of the swatch on the left, but I think it would be way too busy in larger quantities. The one on the right, on the other hand, has a beautiful and bold large scale pattern with the perfect blue color. I chose this one for the dining room. I think it'll look nice against the dark gray walls, brighten the room a bit. And it happens to look pretty good with the new front door color.

Besides the swatches, I decided to go ahead and just order the fabric for Jack's bedroom curtains. I was kind of taking a chance, but it payed off. I love the way they look. I mean, really love them. I think they brighten the whole room.


Since his room only has one little window, I definitely wanted something bright and bold. In person these are bright green - which looks great against his light gray walls. And while chevrons are too trendy for downstairs, I think they're perfect for Jack's room. Seriously, they add so much to the room and I literally smile every time I walk past. Combined with the white faux wood blinds we hung up, they look perfect. Yay!

The fabric is supposed to be in this week, so my sewing machine will get another work out this weekend and hopefully I'll have more pictures to share. I've also been working on some baby gifts that'll be done soon and I'm going to do some "selfish" sewing too - some clothes for me! It's amazing how much better I feel now that I'm sewing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment