Friday, March 23, 2012

on a roll

I have been on a roll here the past couple of weeks, just checking things off my sewing list right and left. Even things that aren't on my list!

At the beginning of the month, of course, I had to get my Craftsy Block of the Month blocks done. I feel like I just wait and wait for the 1st of the month and then make the new blocks right away and have to wait another few weeks for the next blocks! I am really enjoying this class, and I'm glad I signed up for it - not that I had anything to lose, it was free. I really enjoyed the string blocks this month, though I have done a string block quilt before. I think the Broken Spider Web is my fav. It also is making me really happy that I decided to use my Anna Maria Horner Innocent Crush fat quarter bundle for this, I think it will look amazing as a total quilt when it's all done. Here is what I have so far:


See that wonky slash block in the lower right hand corner? Yeah, that's actually the newest edition. This was the original:


Yuck, right? I'm not a big fan of wonky in the first place. I also don't like a lot of white space. Add the ho-hum fabric and it just makes for a bad block :(  Unfortunately, my design wall is in my dining room, so I had to stare at this block (directly over my husband's shoulder, I might add) every night. I couldn't stand it anymore. So I came up with this:


Much better, I think. By switching up the background fabric from white to pattern and matching my pattern up, the block improved one million percent. I am much happier staring at this block every night! (I will get better at taking the indoor flashless pictures one of these days! I do know what to do to take better pictures, I'm just being lazy)

 
I also whipped this up, something that's been on my list for awhile, but always towards the bottom because the materials just cost too much. The pattern is the "Rollie Pollie" by Dana at made. I happened on a mostly upholstery and outdoor fabric store in nearby Shamokin Dam when I was looking for something else and they had large bags of shredded foam sitting all around the store. It made me think of this pattern, so I bought a bag, some muslin for the inner bag and some blue and white striped denim for the outer. I had to go back and get more of everything, but it came out so cute! And much cheaper than if I'd used Cluster Stuff, as I had planned. And the fabric looks like train engineer pants :)


I have some must-dos that I am dragging my feet on, but after that, I have so many plans! Should I use these vintage sheet charm packs that I got from In Color Order's etsy shop (here)?


Should I cut into this fat quarter bundle of Flea Market Fancy I snatched up from Hawthorne Threads? I'm thinking of using this for the Swoon pattern I also maybe might have bought...


Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment